Vacancy: Chief Engineer, closing date 18 December 2018
We are currently seeking applications for a Chief Engineer within Marine Scotland based on board Marine Patrol and Marine Research Vessels. This is a permanent and pensionable appointment and new entrants will normally start on the minimum of the pay range. Candidates with a disability who meet the essential criteria below will be invited to the assessments.
We are currently seeking applications for two Chief Engineer posts within Marine Scotland (Compliance); these are based on our Marine Patrol and Research Vessels. Marine Scotland has three Marine Patrol Vessels, two major research vessels, eighteen Marine Offices around the Scottish Coast and two surveillance aircraft.
This post is both varied and challenging. Answering to the Commanding Officer and the Marine Superintendents, you will be responsible for the safe and efficient maintenance of all on board plant and equipment, ensuring the ship is available at all times to help meet Marine Scotland’s mission – ‘To manage Scotland’s Seas for Prosperity and Environmental Sustainability’.
As a minimum, candidates for the Chief Engineer posts must have a Class 1 (Motor) Unlimited Certificate and must be certificated in all respects to meet the requirements of STCW (as amended). A knowledge of diesel electric propulsion systems may be an advantage. Other qualifications equivalent to these may also be acceptable, if you are in any doubt please contact to discuss.
Please note: If you fail to demonstrate how you meet the minimum qualifications as stated above, your application will be automatically sifted out.
- Candidate must have experience of being a sea going Chief Engineer, and can demonstrate the ability to work to high standards in all marine engineering disciplines.
- Successful candidate must have experience of scheduling work including the man management of an engineering department to ensure the vessel is maintained to Flag and Class Standards by ensuring adherence to the Safety Management System.
- Have experience in compiling engineering specifications, organising contractors and technicians to complete planned work within in a tight timescale.
- Candidate must be proficient in all Engine Room activities so that they can act as an effective liaison to the Commanding Officer in order to safely operate the vessel.
For further information on this vacancy please download and review the “Person Specification and Further Information for Job Applicants” which you will find below. To apply, you must fully complete and submit an online application via this website before the closing date. To learn more about this opportunity, please contact Caroline Hutton who can be reached at email@example.com or 0131 244 4194 .
If you experience any difficulties accessing our website or completing the online application form, please contact the recruitment team on 0131 244 3373 or via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Further Information for this Job:
- Person Specification and Further Information for Job Applicants
- Marine Scotland Topic Sheets
- Marine Scotland Compliance
- Research Vessels – Alba na Mara and Scotia