Vacancy: Fishing Gear Technologist, closing date 17 March
The successful candidate will join the Fishing Technology Group within Marine Scotland based in Aberdeen and contribute to its broad spectrum of roles and collaborations both national and international. The core gear technology work of the group includes working with Scottish fishing industry to develop novel solutions to reduce unwanted fish by-catches, investigate fish behaviour in relation to fishing gears, monitor/report on fishing gear performance, catchability of survey trawl systems and designing new survey (fishing) gears to improve fish stock predictions. The group are responsible and expected to provide advice and represent Marine Scotland on all aspects of fishing gear technology both nationally and internationally.
For jobs in Band B & C you must hold a minimum of 3 Highers or equivalent.
Other qualifications equivalent to these may also be acceptable, if you are in any doubt please contact to discuss.
Please note: If you fail to demonstrate how you meet the minimum qualifications as stated above, your application will be automatically sifted out.
You must also have a valid ENG1 medical certificate or have the ability to pass a medical.
1. A proven ability to interpret net specification plans, experience of rigging fishing gear and demonstrate basic net rigging techniques.
2. To be a confident communicator with proven verbal and written communication skills and ability to present information/data clearly and concisely.
3. Good organisational skills, ability to plan and prioritise work, use own initiative and take responsibility for key tasks whilst maintaining a high degree of attention to detail.
4. Team working and proven experience of working on commercial fishing or research/survey vessels.
For further information on this vacancy please download and review the “Person Specification and Further Information for Job Applicants“. To apply, you must fully complete and submit an online application via this website before the closing date. To learn more about this opportunity, please contact Robert Kynoch or telephone 01312443360.
If you experience any difficulties accessing our website or completing the online application form, please contact the recruitment team.
- The Scottish Government – Fishing Gear Technologist
- About Marine Scotland
- About Marine Scotland Science