Funeral Industry News
COVID-19: Those attending funerals for the purpose of work are not included in the maximum permitted numbers at funerals
The maximum attendance limit for funeral services and post-funeral gatherings is set out in the Coronavirus (COVID-19) protection levels. Those maximum limits are:
- Level 4 – funeral services 20; no post-funeral gatherings
- Level 3 – funeral services 50; post-funeral gatherings 50
- Level 2 – funeral services 50; post-funeral gatherings 50
- Level 1 – funeral services 100; post-funeral gatherings 100
- Level 0 – funeral services 200; post-funeral gatherings 200
Children of all ages are counted in the maximum number.
Effective immediately, all those present at a funeral service or post-funeral gathering who are there solely for the purpose of work are not included in the maximum number. This includes, for example, anyone hired by the family, any venue staff, or third party suppliers (including carers or those who must accompany an individual such as a prison escort).
However, if anyone working subsequently joins the funeral party as one of the mourners, they should then count towards the total number.
Updated guidance is available at: