Vacancy – Zooplankton Analyst (Closing date 5 October 2017)
We are currently seeking applications for a zooplankton biologist within the Ecology and Conservation group of Marine Scotland Science based in Aberdeen. This is a permanent and pensionable appointment and new entrants will normally start on the minimum of the pay range. Candidates with a disability who meet the essential criteria below will be invited to the assessments.
The main role of this post is to undertake routine taxonomic analysis of zooplankton samples in support of monitoring and research programmes. The post will include participation in research surveys, data entry and ensuring quality control of databases. The post holder will also assist in laboratory management.
For jobs in Bands B and C, you must hold a minimum of 3 SCE Higher or A Level qualifications (grades A-C) with one being English. Other qualifications equivalent to these may also be acceptable, if you are in any doubt please contact the Resourcing Officer named at the end of this advert to discuss.
1. Experience identifying and counting marine zooplankton using light microscopy techniques
2. Experience of fieldwork, performing sampling activities that can be applied to an inshore coastal ecosystem monitoring trip
3. Experience compiling numeric data for inclusion in reports
4. Good written and oral communication skills
5. A methodological approach to work and good organisational skills
6. Experience working in a laboratory environment and with databases
1. A valid driving licence as you may need to travel with equipment to locations around Scotland and the UK
2. A qualification such as a B.Sc. in biological or environmental science
For further information on this vacancy please download and review the “Person Specification and Further Information for Job Applicants” which you will find below. To apply, you must fully complete and submit an online application via this website before the closing date. To learn more about this opportunity, please contact Dr Peter Wright at Peter.Wright@gov.scot or P.Wright@marlab.ac.uk or phone 0131 244 3224.
If you experience any difficulties accessing our website or completing the online application form, please contact Resourcing Team on 0131 244 8217.