Vacancy – Marine Mammal Biologist (closing date 6 March 2018)
We are currently seeking applications for a Marine Mammal Biologist within Marine Scotland Science (MSS) based in Aberdeen. This is a permanent and pensionable appointment and new entrants will normally start on the minimum of the pay range. Candidates with a disability who meet the essential criteria below will be invited to the assessments.
The Marine Mammal Biologist will work alongside the REEA staff at MSS to contribute to achieving Scottish Government goals for marine renewable energy and for protecting the marine environment. This will be achieved through the provision of specialist advice to MS-LOT on interactions between marine mammals and the emerging marine renewable energy industries, and to MPPD on marine mammal conservation issues. This advice will be placed into the context of the interactions of marine mammal populations and marine renewables, and of the legislation and regulatory processes that are relevant to marine mammals in Scotland.
A minimum of a BSc. degree. Other qualifications equivalent to these may also be acceptable, if you are in any doubt please contact the Resourcing Officer named at the end of this advert to discuss.
- A good understanding of regulation, legislation and research relating to marine mammal species, populations and trends in Scottish or European waters.
- The ability to work independently with good organisational skills and effectively manage projects.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to explain scientific concepts to varied audiences, particularly in a professional context.
- A good understanding of the impacts of underwater noise and other key issues to marine mammals and other marine species and methods to assess these impacts.
For further information on this vacancy please download and review the “Person Specification and Further Information for Job Applicants” which you will find below. To apply, you must fully complete and submit an online application via this website before the closing date. To learn more about this opportunity, please email Dr Jared Wilson or call 0131 244 9103.
If you experience any difficulties accessing our website or completing the online application form, please contact the resourcing team on 0131 244 5597 or via Recruitment.
- Person Specification and Further Information for Job Applicants
- Apply for this Job
- More information about Marine Scotland