Planning and Architecture
Build to Rent Event 2018
Date: Wednesday 18th April 2018
Time: 10:00 – 15:30
Location: The Principal, Charlotte Square, Edinburgh
The first Build to Rent (BTR) event hosted by the Planning & Architecture Division was held on Wednesday 18th April, to raise awareness of the key opportunities and challenges of the BTR sector.
The event was chaired by Stefano Smith from Peter Brett Associates. It brought together a range of speakers from the public and private sector, including City of Edinburgh, Glasgow and Dundee City Councils, Get Living and Whiteburn Projects, who shared their experiences of delivering BTR development.
The agenda and presentations are now online:
The event was structured around the BTR planning delivery advice which was published in September 2017 and focused on Definition, Design, Opportunities and Challenges. The Question and Answer sessions prompted broad discussion:
- Scotland’s position in terms of delivering BTR and creating a pipeline in its cities.
- Role of the market and investors in overcoming barriers in an emerging market.
- Challenge of bringing sites through the system and valuation of developments.
- Delivery of affordable housing within developments.
- Importance of long-term, professional management.
- Perception of single aspect units.
- Delivery of family accommodation.
- Energy provision and environmental standards.
Opportunities and Challenges
- Further support/education for elected members.
- Better communication of the product.
- The more developments built, the more we will understand the sector.
- Challenges of engaging with customers and creating a quality place.
- If we don’t try, how will we know?
Case studies of the featured projects will be made available over the coming weeks.