Planning and Architecture
Scottish Awards for Quality in Planning 2019
Calling applicants to the 20th Anniversary Scottish Awards for Quality in Planning
The Scottish Awards for Quality in Planning are one of the Government’s most prestigious awards. They celebrate achievements in planning, right from the detail of processing through to the bigger picture of creating places which will become the legacy of our professionalism. This year is going to be special – marking the 20th Anniversary of the Awards. So please do enter your applications and be part of the celebration.
SAQP2019 has 5 Categories
The full list of categories are:
- Partnership – innovation in working collaboratively, at any stage, within the planning process.
- People – innovation in the participation of a person or people (whether young or old) making a demonstrable effect on the transformation of a place or within the planning system.
- Place – innovation in any architectural building or place (built or natural).
- Plans – innovation in development planning ranging from strategic to settlements.
- Process – innovation in improving, or simplifying, any type of processes.
The closing date for entries is 17 May 2019.
For some inspiration, please check out the 2018 winners plus all of the 34 shortlisted projects.
People’s Choice Award
The People’s Choice Award allows anyone to vote for their favourite shortlisted SAQP entry. The idea is that this Award gives everyone a chance to get involved and express their support for whatever they consider to have been a great project in 2019.
Key Stages in the Awards
Stage 1 Application
Closing date will be 17 May 2019. Applicants will have received an email notification to confirm that we have acknowledged their entry.
Stage 2 Shortlist
Entries to be assessed by the panel of independent Judges.
The shortlist for SAQP2019 will be announced mid June 2018 and added to our interactive map.
Stage 3 Finalists
- SAQP: Shortlisted applicants will be contacted to make arrangements for either a site visit or an interview date which will take place in September 2019.
This stage in the Awards process provides an opportunity for applicants to expand upon their original written submission. Whether selected for a site visit or a short interview, applicants will be asked to prepare a short video which will form the basis of a brief presentation for the judges.
- People’s Choice Award: There will be an opportunity for the public to vote for their favourite over the summer. The poll will close on 30 September 2019.
Stage 4 Recommendations and Ceremony
On completion of the interviews and site visits, for SAQP2019 the Judges will finalise their recommendations to the Scottish Ministers. If required, some entries may be contacted, over autumn 2019, to provide further photographs to exhibit at the Awards ceremony, which will take place in Edinburgh on 20 November 2019.
All categories, Partnership, People, Place, Plans, and Process must have demonstrated innovation, impact and transferability.
- Innovation: Demonstrate innovation, no matter how simple, in your approach or achievement and how it has improved the delivery of a project.
- Impact: Demonstrate the impact that the project has had.
- Transferability: Explain how the lessons learnt from the project can be or have been passed on or shared with other organisations.
In addition to the criteria (above) the work involved must be complete and have operated long enough for a fair assessment of its achievements. If part of a phased development, it is recommended that a significant phase has been completed prior to submission. Applications can be refused if it is premature.
We hope that the Awards will help to intensify everyone’s learning and sharing, from a whole range of successful projects – no matter what type or scale.