Duration: 25 January – 7 February 2018
- To carry out a survey of scallop stocks around the Shetland Islands.
- To age, measure and assess shell damage on all scallops caught.
- To collect information on by-catch of other commercial fish and shellfish species.
- To identify, quantify numbers, and damage assess of starfish species in all dredge tows.
- To undertake underwater filming of dredges using a Go-pro camera.
Scallop dredge hauls will be made at sites used on previous surveys as shown on the map below. Hauls will be of 30 minutes duration. From each haul all of the scallops will be measured to the half centimetre below and aged. Numbers and size distribution of commercial fish and shellfish species will be recorded along with scallop shell damage and starfish numbers and species. Filming the gear fishing will be undertaken on selected tows to show gear efficiency.