Survey of Scallop Stocks around Shetland Islands
MRV Alba na Mara Programme
Duration: 25 January – 9 February 2020
Fishing Gear: Scallop dredges
1. To carry out a survey of scallop stocks around the Shetland Islands.
2. To age, measure and assess shell damage on all scallops caught.
3. To collect information on by-catch of other commercial fish and shellfish species.
4. To identify, quantify numbers, and damage assess of starfish species in all dredge tows.
5. To collect whole scallops for heavy metal testing as part of the OSPAR assessment of hazardous substances in the marine environment.
The survey will depart Fraserburgh on 25 January and, after vessel drills, make passage for Shetland.
Scallop dredge hauls will be made at sites used on previous surveys as shown Figure 1. Hauls will be of 30 minutes duration. From each haul, all of the scallops will be measured to the half centimeter below and aged. Numbers and size distribution of commercial fish and shellfish species will be recorded along with scallop shell damage and starfish numbers and species.
The survey will end in Fraserburgh on 9 February when staff and gear will stay on board to carry out survey 0320A.
- Marine Scotland Website
- Marine Research Vessel Alba na Mara Topic Sheet
- Marine Scotland Science Topic Sheet