Monitoring the Effect of Noise on Marine Environments
Duration: 25 March – 11 April 2018
- Subsurface passive acoustic moorings (incl. cetacean detectors and sound recorders);
- Subsurface VEMCO VR2 salmon tag detector moorings; and
- Subsurface Acoustic Doppler Current Profiler (ADCP) mooring.
- To deploy 95 moorings with VR2 salmon detectors between Ythan Estuary and Findon Ness (‘outer array’ shown on Figure 1).
- To deploy 40 moorings with VR2 salmon detectors between River Don mouth and Nigg Bay (‘inner array’ shown on Figure 1).
- To deploy one ADCP in Aberdeen Bay (in association with the ‘outer array’ of salmon detectors).
- To deploy 30 moorings at ECOMMAS marine mammal/noise monitoring locations (20 with C-PODs cetacean click detectors; 10 with C-PODs and SM2M sound recorders; Figure 2).
- To recover two ECOMMAS moorings at Helmsdale 15 and Arbroath 10 sites that were deployed in November 2017.
- To deploy a mooring with C-POD and sound recorder at an offshore noise monitoring location (as part of the JOMOPANS project).
Figure 1 (above): Locations of the salmon detector moorings to be deployed on this 0418A. A table of locations will be supplied separately. Locations marked in blue are the ‘outer array’; the ‘inner array’ are marked in red.
Figure 2 (below): Locations of the ECOMMAS and JOMOPANS moorings deployed on this trip. Locations are detailed in Table 1 below.
- 22/3: load half of ‘outer array’ moorings and ADCP in Fraserburgh.
- *25/3: sail south from Fraserburgh, deploy ADCP, deploy ‘outer array’.
- *26/3: reload 2nd batch ‘outer array’ moorings, deploy ‘outer array’.
- *27/3: load ‘inner array’ moorings, deploy ‘inner array’ load ECOMMAS moorings.
- End of March: deploy east coast ECOMMAS moorings (St Abbs – Cruden Bay).
- Early April: deploy Moray Firth ECOMMAS moorings (Fraserburgh – Latheron) and JOMOPANS mooring.
*N.B. timings may vary with weather and deployment progress.
Table 1 (below): ID, name and geographic position of all 30 ECOMMAS and JOMOPANS moorings to be deployed during 0418A. All moorings are to be subsurface for either acoustic release (AR) or ROV recovery.
- Previous ECOMMAS Blog Posts
- 2018 Alba na Mara Blog Posts
- Joint Monitoring Programme for Ambient Noise North Sea (JOMOPANS)
- BBC article on underwater noise monitoring