Celebrating Women in the Fishing Industry on International Women’s Day
March 5, 2020 by Marine Directorate Communications No Comments | Category Collaborations, Fisheries, Marine Directorate general, Marine Directorate Science, Publications, Science, Technology, Engineering, Maths_STEM, Statistics
To celebrate International Women’s Day, we are thrilled to announce that Ms Hannah Fennell, Senior Researcher in our Marine Analytical Unit, will be giving a talk at the Scottish Fisheries Museum in Anstruther about her research into ‘The Unacknowledged Inputs of Orkney’s Fishing Industry’.
The ‘Women in the Fishing Industry’ event will begin at 1 pm on Sunday 8th March and will continue throughout the afternoon. Women from all areas of the fishing industry will be giving talks about their research, work and what it is like to be a woman in these industries.
Talking about her study Hannah told us: During my research for Orkney Fisheries I found that women have provided vital onshore support to the industry for hundreds of years. While the nature of women’s roles in the industry has changed due to advances in technology and women’s ability to enter the workforce, the activities of women still remain central to the industry.”
Hannah’s research concluded with a report detailing a number of suggestions to enhance the decision-making process. To find out more about Hannah’s research and to hear from other inspirational women in the fishing industry please sign up to attend the free event here.
- Fennell, H., 2019. The Unacknowledged Inputs of Orkney’s Fishing Industry. Orkney Fisheries Association.
- Scottish Fisheries Museum Website
- International Women’s Day – (March 8) is a global day celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women. The day also marks a call to action for accelerating women’s equality.
- International Women’s Day (IWD) has occurred for well over a century, with the first IWD gathering in 1911 supported by over a million people. Today, IWD belongs to all groups collectively everywhere. IWD is not country, group or organisation specific.
- Sea Change Exhibition at Scottish Fisheries Museum