Demersal Data Collection
MFV Genesis BF505
Survey: 1119H Survey Programme
Duration: 9-17 May 2019
Fishing Gear: Anglerfish Trawl BT 195
- Undertake a nationally co-ordinated demersal trawling survey of Anglerfish (Lophius piscatorius and Lophius budegassa) ICES area IVA and VIA
- Record and map distributions of Megrim (Lepidorhombus wiffiagonis), Four-Spot Megrim (Lepidorhombus boscii) Cod (Gadus morhua), Blue Skate (Dipturus batis) and Flapper Skate (Dipturus intermedius).
- Collect biological data on: Anglerfish species, Cod, Megrim, Four-Spot Megrim, Blue Skate and Flapper Skate.
This trawl survey follows a set of protocols drawn up by an industry science survey planning group made up of Marine Scotland scientists and fishing representatives. These protocols share much in common with the sampling regimes described in Marine Scotland standing instructions for demersal trawl surveys.
The survey track and sampling locations will be delivered to the skipper prior to departure.
One haul of 60 minutes duration will be made at each sampling station; trawling operations will occur in waters up to a maximum of 1000 m. Daily starting times will be 06:00 hours and all trawling should be complete by approximately 23:30 hours each night. The Scanmar system will be used to monitor wing spread, door spread and distance covered during each haul. A bottom contact sensor will be mounted on the footrope.
Catches will be worked up according to the protocols for Marine Scotland Anglerfish surveys which are similar in principle to Marine Scotland standing instructions.
- Monkfish (Anglerfish) on Marine Scotland Website
- Previous Anglerfish Related Blogs
- Fish and Shellfish Section on Marine Scotland Website