Scallop Stocks and Starfish Species
MRV Alba na Mara Survey: 0219A Programme
Duration: 24 January – 06 February 2019
Fishing Gear: Scallop dredges
- Carry out a survey of scallop stocks around the Shetland Islands.
- Age, measure and assess shell damage on all scallops caught.
- Collect information on by-catch of other commercial fish and shellfish species.
- Identify, quantify numbers, and damage assess of starfish species in all dredge tows.
- Undertake underwater filming of dredges using a Go-pro camera.
The survey will depart Fraserburgh on 24 January and, after vessel drills, make passage for Shetland.
Scallop dredge hauls will be made at sites used on previous surveys as shown Figure 1. Hauls will be of 30 minutes duration. From each haul, all of the scallops will be measured to the half centimeter below and aged. Numbers and size distribution of commercial fish and shellfish species will be recorded along with scallop shell damage and starfish numbers and species. Filming the gear fishing will be undertaken on selected tows to show gear efficiency.
- Previous Blogs about Scallops
- MRV Alba na Mara Topic Sheet
- Fisheries Management Programme
- Find out where the Alba na Mara is now
Tags: Alba na Mara, analysis, assessment, data, dredging, fish, fish species, fisheries, fishing gear, Marine Scotland, Marine Scotland Science, MSS, research, sampling, scallops, science, shellfish, Shetland, starfish, Survey, underwater filming